Tuesday, December 08, 2009

Take your ego out…

I’m continually amazed at how artists and their work are so entwined, although I shouldn’t be. Prior to coming to PhotoSpin, I spent 20 years as a commercial photographer and remember all too well those sinking feelings of rejection when I didn’t get chosen for a project or someone didn’t like my work. Let's face it, it hurts both your ego and your wallet.

I find that it's just as difficult to reject artists' work as it is to have my own work rejected. But that's business. It's normal for the artists to take the rejection as a personal front against them, unable to separate the business from the art. Here at PhotoSpin, we can't accept all the images from potential contributors, so you have to learn to ignore your ego and don't take it personally. If we sign you, that means we like your work but that doesn’t mean we are going to accept it all. We need to maintain a certain image quality that our customers have come to expect and your images need to meet that quality in order for us to accept them. If they don't meet our quality standards they will get rejected.


When your work is rejected let it be an inspiration to create even better work. And remember, it’s your work that got rejected, not you.

No comments: