Thursday, October 26, 2006

Creative Success (Part II)

How to land a BIG ACCOUNT

During my career as a professional photographer, I've been very fortunate to work with some of the industries most talented and creative people. I posed my on-going question to Tommy Steele - Former Creative Director of Capital Records, and currently, Creative Director of Design at Team One Advertising. I've altered the question slightly because a creative director's
responsibility is to the agency first and then, ultimately to the client. My question was - How do you choose an artist for a Big Account?

Here's what Tommy had to say:

"Over the past 20+ years the way I choose an artist for a specific project has changed slightly. When I first began my career, photographers, illustrators, and artist representatives would contact me directly. Since I began my career in the entertainment industry, I had to be conscious that the people hiring me were very image-oriented. The work I did had to represent them as a musical artist and as a brand. I would select a commercial artist based on the portfolio they submitted, the confidence they instilled in me, my belief they could do the work and deliver the project on time and within budget. I was looking for artists first, who just happened to be photographers, illustrators, and designers. On several projects the work was a collaborative effort with the client, designer and commercial artist. As my projects grew so did my responsibilities. At Capitol Records I had an art department/small agency working under me and our responsibilities were for all of Capitol's marketing needs as well as CD designs POP displays, posters, packaging, etc. There I hired an Art Buyer, largely in part to keep track of projects and budgets and to help negotiate rights and fees."

"Today I still review portfolios through the screening of the agency Art Buying Department. I could spend a lot of time reviewing portfolios and never get through all the books sent to our agency. I get quite a few emails/spam from artists and reps, which is a bit invasive. But I always look for that creative piece - a post card, a letter, a promo, or something that is
arresting or clever and shows me something different. I don't directly hire the artist, but my staff and I make recommendations to the client as to who we would like to work with. The Art Buyer at the agency negotiates the fees and usage in a 3 bid system. This provides the client with the best choice based on budget, artist ability and availability. In my opinion, if you want to get the big account - bring something unique, personal, and artistic to the party. Don't show me work I can already get from an established artist show me why you are worth the BIG ACCOUNT."

No comments: